- Vision, Mission & PEO
- Recognized Research Centre
- Structural Engineering Lab
- Consultancy Services
- Students Achievements
OVERVIEW OF STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING
Realizing that post graduate programme would add value to under graduate programme in terms of human resources, better infrastructure, laboratory and library facilities and to cater to the needs of students aspiring to pursue post graduation, M.Tech. in Structural Engineering was introduced in 2014-15 with an intake of 18. The department is proud to have academically well qualified and professionally experienced faculty with categorical commitment and dedication to the principled profession. Three faculty members with PhD with in Structural Engineering are present in the department with an average experience of 25 years.
Recognized Research Centre
Research environment was initiated by establishing “Research Centre” under Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi to offer Ph.D. and M.Sc. Engg. (by Research) in the Civil Engineering Sciences. Currently, the Centre offers research opportunities in the domains of Soil structure interaction, Earth quake engineering, Steel structures, Geotechnical engineering, Geopolymer technology and concrete, Bridge Engineering etc.
Equipments available in Structural Engineering Lab:
1. Horizontal Shake table with following specifications:
- Max. payload capacity of 30kg
- Motor of 1HP
- Frequency 0-25Hz
- Amplitude 0 to 10mm
2. 12 Horizontal shake table experimental models.
3. Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity test-NDT test
4. Rebound Hammer-NDT test
Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity Equipment
An ultrasonic pulse velocity (UPV) test is an in-situ, nondestructive test to check the quality of concrete and natural rocks. In this test, the strength and quality of concrete or rock is assessed by measuring the velocity of an ultrasonic pulse passing through a concrete structure or natural rock formation.
This test is conducted by passing a pulse of ultrasonic through concrete to be tested and measuring the time taken by pulse to get through the structure. Higher velocities indicate good quality and continuity of the material, while slower velocities may indicate concrete with many cracks or voids.
Horizontal Shake Table
Earthquake shaking tables are used extensively in seismic research, as they provide the means to excite structures in such a way that they are subjected to conditions representative of true earthquake ground motions.
With the infrastructure available, the laboratory conducts research in the field of earthquake engineering and structural dynamics which involves analysis, design, testing and evaluation of structures and structural components for seismic load.
The hammer measures the rebound of a spring-loaded mass impacting against the surface of a sample. The test hammer hits the concrete at a defined energy. Its rebound is dependent on the hardness of the concrete and is measured by the test equipment. By reference to a conversion chart, the rebound value can be used to determine the concrete's compressive strength.
State of the Art CAD lab and Basic Material Testing Labs
Computer Aided Design Lab consisting of STAAD Pro V8i and ETABS software
Basic Material Testing Lab
The PG department offers Design Consultancy and Quality Control & Assurance Testing Services to government organizations such as PWD, KNNL and private establishments.
Our students have bagged the rank at University level. The details are below:
Miss. Kiran Shindigar bagged 4th rank in VTU exams in the year 2017-18.
Mr. Mohammed M. Itagi Mr. Mohammed M. Itagi bagged 9th rank in VTU exams in the year 2018-19.
1. VTU e-learning Resource Center - http://nptel.vtu.ac.in/econtent/
2. NPTEL- https://nptel.ac.in/resources.html
3. NPTEL Online Videos, Courses, IIT Video Lectures - http://www.nptelvideos.in/
4. Swayam -Free Online Education - https://swayam.gov.in/NPTEL
5. MITOPEN COURSEWARE - https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
6. Virtual Labs: An Initiative of Ministry of Human Resource Development under the National Mission on Education through ICT - http://www.vlab.co.in/broad-area-electronics-and-communications
7. IIT Bombay Virtual Lab- http://vlabs.iitb.ac.in/vlab/
8. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Virtual Lab – https://vlab.amrita.edu/
9. IIT Kanpur- Virtual Labs - https://www.iitk.ac.in/mimt_lab/vlab/index.php